Saturday 5 May 2012

I don't like crowds...especially at parties. I'm not a fan of being squished but i also like being right where the action is...this poses a problem for me more then one would think.

With this knowledge in mind imagine my dismay when we arrived at the Jungala gate in the wee hours of Saturday morning and were told over 2000 people had entered the venue already...absolute and utter terror coursed through my veins...that is ALOT of people.
I get it was a 3 day and we were a day late but seriously...wtf happened to the days when the crowd was huge at like 400!!!

It was freezing...and when i say freezing i'm talking about shivering polar bears and icicle eyelashes...that kind of cold. once we had parked, mixed a warm-up drink, ditched the shoes (they were cold in the shoes anyway so why not be comfortable and cold!) and meandered our way through the calf deep mud it was nearing 1am. As we carefully picked our way through the dark my mini friend made her first rookie error...she walked in front. Not only did she hit the green slime mud first she literally disappeared down the hill for a while...I helped her up once i had stopped laughing...you would have too had you been there. she isn't known as my pixie party partner for nothing...she's mini!!!! (sorry Kirsts)

reaching the dance floor we could now see where the 2000 other people were:0 it took me almost 15 minutes just to figure out where the front of the floor was (i had to follow the lumo caps)
Jungala is a pretty new party to the season but sadly it is also one of that definitely does not believe in the over 18 rule or limiting tickets. the one thing it has going for it...siiiick line-up.
once we realized how incredibly terrible the next 3 hours were going to be (until the kid passed out, the dance floor cleared a little and the music managed to maintain a beat for more then 4 seconds) so we did what any 'sane' old-time partier would do...we climbed into the back of the bakkie, huddled under thermal sleeping bags and had an hour power nap.

you know when you wake up with a jolt because you either got a fright or had the moment of terror when you thought you were missing something important??? that happened to me at 5:30am that Sunday. absolute fear told me that i was missing a killer set by the gorgeous Tune Raider...sadly I'll never know because by the time I had organized a breakfast drink, roused the troops, used the just cleaned bathrooms and got to the floor it was 6:30am...never fear though because Up-Psy-Down did an awesome job of turning my frown upside down! we ran back to the car after a quick warm-up stomp and got ready for the day. Mega-mix, sunglasses and less winter clothing. with perfect timing we hit the floor as Mad Piper started the set of the party for me. front right was manageable (it got disgustingly full and messy later in the day), faces were smiling, the sun was shining, bass thumping and many friendly faces were beginning to arrive. by this time the energy was reaching fever pitch. people started checking watches, inching closer to the front and whispering excitedly amongst themselves. there is only one man who could cause such reactions at 9am on a chilly Sunday...as he dropped the first beat everybody knew...ORCA was here to rip the forest apart. what followed was 2 hours of insane times. admittedly (and maybe this is just me) his build was waaaaay too long in almost every song and his drop wasn't that bone-crunching, heart thumping bass that tells you to shut up and stomp, negatives aside, you know the set is good when Sad Movie starts up and literally every person jumps up and down at the same time [you know the mini earthquake you all felt...that was us in Gouda;)]
After Orca, Blazed carried on the international awesomness and ensured that the energy never died.
I've only ever seen Silo play at night and was slightly skeptical about 1)his 12:30 time slot and 2) the fact that he was play between an international and local favorite Headroom, but maaaaaaan he did so good. Big ups, it was a killer set.
I'll admit, I adore Headroom, along with everybody else in Cape Town, but I left half way through his set...well actually my legs just stopped working and i figured that was my body telling me it wanted a shower, warmth food and a bed.

The venue was gorgeous, we were on an island bi#*@'s! and although there were a million too many people there the floor could pretty comfortably hold a large amount of dancing humans.
This is pretty much the last major party of the season as exams loom, it gets ever colder and well since when have there ever been parties in June before:/

I do hope everybody had fun, it was a good ender=)



No comments:

Post a Comment